Visual Resources Division
The Visual Resources Division (VRD) of ARLIS/NA is composed of ARLIS/NA members who are involved in the documentation of the visual arts. This includes the acquisition, organization, retrieval and circulation of visual resources materials, primarily slides and digital images, but also video, film, filmstrips, photographs, microforms and other non-print materials. Special attention is focused, through subcommittees and with the VRA, on standards for images, data, and collection staffing, as well as guidelines for Visual Resources Professionals.
The primary purpose, then, of the VRD is communication and creation of professional development opportunities for visual resources professionals and others interested in visual resources for the arts.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Represents visual resources to the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA and formulates positions on specific visual resources issues;
- VRD Moderator serves as official liaison to the VRA, to strengthen the relationship between ARLIS/NA and VRA by
- encouraging joint ARLIS/NA and VRA chapter meetings;
- generating proposals for sessions and workshops at ARLIS/NA conferences of interest to members in visual resources;
- reviewing VRA conference proposals for VRD sponsorship (sponsor 3-5 proposals per conference);
- participating in joint VRA and ARLIS/NA projects (e.g. Lantern Slide Project);
- act as a liaison with the Summer Educational Institute (SEI);
- monitor and support the development of standards in visual resources;
- VRD Moderator reports to the ARLIS/NA Vice President, President-Elect
- Submits one annual report every Spring to ARLIS/NA
- Submits one post-conference report on the VRD meeting held at the annual conference
- Committee member of the Implementation Team for the joint ARLIS/NA-VRA Summer Educational Institute
- Recruits VRD Moderator Elect
- Reports news, articles, and information pertinent to the group; writes ARLIS/NA Update column 3-4 times per year.
- Takes VRD meeting minutes.