Advocacy & Public Policy Committee News Alerts v.6, Special Issue n. 1, March 2020
GLAM Institutions' Response to COVID-19: Resource List
This special issue of Advocacy & Public Policy Committee News Alerts compiles resources and news on the response of galleries, libraries, archives and museums to the emergency measures prompted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
News on Library, Museum, and Archive Closures
- Coronavirus: Keep Updated About the Library's Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic." Brooklyn Public Library, March 15, 2020.
- Flaherty, Colleen. "Overdue. Closing Libraries." Inside Higher Ed, March 19, 2020.
- Freudenberger, Erica. "As COVID-19 Threat Grows, Libraries Balance Patron Needs with Staff Safety and Containment." Library Journal, March 16, 2020.
- Pogrebin, Robin. "Met Museum Prepares for $100 Million Loss and Closure Till July." The New York Times, March 18, 2020.
- Small, Zachary. "Museum Workers Search for Clarity on Payments after Institutions Shutter due to Coronavirus Concerns." ARTNews, March 13, 2020.
Stimulus Proposal and Libraries
- "Contact Congress." American Library Association, March 20, 2020.
- "Library Recovery Funding Proposal." American Library Association, March 20, 2020.
- Starks, Geoffrey. "To Fight Coronavirus, Millions More Americans Need Internet Access." The New York Times, March 19, 2020.
Statements from Professional Orgs and Library Leaders
- "Academic Libraries and COVID-19." ACRL Board of Directors, March 18, 2020.
- Bourg, Chris. "Close the Library." Feral Librarian Blog, March 15, 2020.
- Branum, Candise. "COVID-19 and Academic Libraries." ACRL-Oregon, Oregon Library Association Academic Division, March 12, 2020.
- "Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Resources for Libraries." Librarianship.ca, March 15, 2020.
- "COVID-19/Coronavirus: Resources & Information for the Museum Field." American Alliance of Museums, March 5, 2020.
- Hall, Tracie. " ALA Executive Director Releases Statement on COVID-19." American Library Association, March 13, 2020.
- Hinchcliffe, Lisa Janicke and Christine Wolfe-Eisenberg. "Academic Library Strategies Shift to Closure and Restriction." Ithaka S + R, March 15, 2020.
- "It's Time to Close the Archives." Association of Canadian Archivists, March 16, 2020.
- "Pandemic Preparedness." American Library Association (Updated Regularly).
- "Statement of Support for ALA Executive Board Recommendation to Close Libraries to the Public, March 17, 2020." ACRL Oregon, Oregon Library Association Academic Division, March 17, 2020.
- "Statement on the Need for Public Library Closures During the Coronavirus Pandemic." Urban Libraries Council, March 17, 2020.
Worker Advocacy Resources
- Chapel, Jessica and Lydia Tang. "Contingent Archival Workers and COVID-19." Survey.
- "COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources." Community sourced, updated regularly.
- "List of Arts Resources During the COVID-19 Outbreak." Creative Capital, March 13, 2020.
- Peet, Lisa. "Library COVID-19 Solidarity Network Advocates for the Closure of Libraries." Library Journal, March 18, 2020.
- Yakabu, Kelli. "Precarious Labor, Student Workers, and Coronavirus." Hack Library School, March 16, 2020.
Work-from-home Resources for Art Information Professionals
- "Archivists at Home." Crowdsourced list of tools and resources for remote archival work.
- Dai, Jessica. "Free Webinars and Trainings for Academic Library Workers."
- Rajotte, David. "What to Do During COVID-19? A List for Archivists / Quoi Faire Durant le COVID-19? Une Liste pour les Archivistes." SAA Accessibility and Disability Section.
- "Working Remotely -- Technical Services -- Special Collections." RBMS Technical Services Discussion Group. Crowdsourced list of resources and ideas.
Online Art & Design Education Resources
- "As Coronavirus Concerns Rise on Campus, Explore Resources for Teaching Remotely." College Art Association, March 9, 2020.
- Keyes, Oscar. "Z.O.M.B.I.E. Survival Guide for VCUArts (Zoom and Other Multimedia Basics for Instruction and Education."
- Pomerantz, Kaitlin. "Teaching Art Online Under COVID-19." Hyperallergic, March 17, 2020.
This issue of News Alerts was compiled by Amy Furness, Sarah Hamerman, Serenity Ibsen, and Lynora Williams.