Public Policy Committee News Alerts v. 3 n. 6, June 2017
Public Policy Committee News Alerts support the committee's mission to monitor public policy issues and keep the ARLIS/NA membership informed. The monthly alerts are intended to be conversation starters, help members keep up on public policy issues, and alert members to new developments. Previous issues can be found at https://arlisna.org/news/public-policy-news-alerts.
Art, Activism, & Social Justice
- Cascone, Sarah. "Walker Art Center’s Controversial Gallows Will Be Removed and Ceremonially Burned." Artnet, May 31, 2017.
- Cheah, Selina. "Artists Protest Funding Cuts to the Arts at Trump Tower." Architect’s Newspaper, June 14, 2017.
- Khoo, Isabelle. "Artist Takes Positive-Body Movement to New Level with Nude Protest." Huffington Post Canada, June 12, 2017.
- Pogrebin, Robin. "Agnes Gund Sells a Lichtenstein to Start Criminal Justice Fund." New York Times, June 11, 2017.
- Pons, Corina. "From Paintings to Flash Protests: Venezuelan Artists Raise Voices." Reuters, June 20, 2017.
Copyright & Fair Use
- Moss, Sasha. "Setting the Record Straight on Copyright Modernization." R Street, June 13, 2017.
- Owen, Victoria. "Librarians Will Propose Improvements to the Copyright Act, Including Better Representation of the Public Interest at the Copyright Board." Policy Options Politiques, June 14, 2017.
- FisherBroyles LLP. "Fashion Copyrights: Reason to Cheer?" Lexology, June 28, 2017.
- Russell, Josh. "Designers of Freedom Tower Hit with Copyright Action." Courthouse News Service, June 15, 2017.
Image Rights & Reuse
- Thompson Coburn LLP. "Fair Use Blocks Out Copyright Claim Over LeBron's Tattoo." Lexology, June 1, 2017.
- Guadamuz, Andres. "Should Robot Artists Be Given Copyright Protection?" Phys.org, June 26, 2017.
- Spata, Christopher. "He Tried to Profit from St. Petersburg's Murals, Then Felt the Artists' Wrath." Tampa Bay Times, June 16, 2017.
- Garun, Natt. "Zillow Is Threatening to Sue a Blogger for Using Its Photos for Parody." The Verge, June 26, 2017.
- Ahmad, Safia. "More Layoffs at the Bibliothèque et Archives Nationales du Québec." Montreal Gazette. June 10, 2017.
- Institute of Museum and Library Services. "New Resources Summarize IMLS Support for Museums and Libraries in Each State." IMLS. June 26, 2017.
- Lalonde, Catherine. "Les Coupes à BAnQ Continuent à Faire des Remous: Le Ministre Fortin Défend les "Décisions Responsables" Prises par la Direction." Le Devoir. June 20, 2017.
- Lalonde, Catherine. "#JeSoutiensBAnQ: Les Coupes Ne Sont Pas Sans Impact:Des Professionnels des Bibliothèques Interpellent le Premier Ministre." Le Devoir. June 15, 2017.
- Libraries and Archives Canada. "Libraries and Archives Canada Announces Financial Assistance of $1.5 Million to Support the Preservation of Documentary Heritage: Eight Projects Funded in Ontario." Libraries and Archives Canada. June 2, 2017.
Intellectual Freedom/Access to Information
- Maughan, Shannon. "The 10 Most Challenged Books of 2016: A Closer Look at the Trends Behind the Titles." Publishers Weekly. June 16, 2017.
- National Coalition Against Censorship. "NCAC's Executive Director Honored for Free Speech Advocacy by the Freedom to Read Foundation." National Coalition Against Censorship. June 22, 2017.
- Putnam Davis, Jennifer. "Intellectual Freedom and Open Access: Working Toward a Common Goal?" American Libraries, June 25, 2017.
- Wiegand, Wayne A. "Desegregating Libraries in the American South: Forgotten Heroes in Civil Rights History." American Libraries. June 1, 2017.
- Wilson, John. "Viewpoint: Censorship at the Library.” Evanston Now. June 5, 2017.
- Schiermeier, Quirin. "US Court Grants Elsevier Millions in Damages from Sci-Hub." Nature, June 22, 2017.
- Chesters, Laura. "US's 170,000 Public Sculptures to Be Digitally Catalogued for Nation." Antiques Trade Gazette, June 22, 2017.
- "Notes on Curating an Open Access Collection of Political Stickers." BoingBoing, May 30, 2017.
- Stanley, Jay. "New TSA Policy May Lead to Increased Scrutiny of Reading Material." ACLU Blog. June 23, 2017.
- Morehart, Phil. "Protecting Our Privacy." Dewey Decibel Podcast, May 31, 2017.
- Wakabayashi, Daisuke. "Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting." The New York Times, June 23, 2017.
- Lyons, Daniel. "The BROWSER Act: A Privacy Misstep." Tech Policy Daily, June 2, 2017. http://www.techpolicydaily.
- Goldstein, Andrew. "Privacy vs. Security: Council Debates Merits of Library Video Surveillance System." Planet Princeton, June 15, 2017.
- Hurley, Lawrence. "U.S. Supreme Court to settle major cellphone privacy case." Reuters, June 5, 2017.
Technology & Telecommunications
- Berdik, Chris. "Come for the Computers, Stay for the Books." Slate, June 21, 2017.
- Condliffe, Jamie. "Trump Promises a Federal Technology Overhaul to Save $1 Trillion." MIT Technology Review, June 20, 2017.
- Cortez, Meghan Bogardus. "Libraries of the Future Focus on Digital Collaboration and Scholarship." EdTech: Focus on Higher Education, June 20, 2017.
- Geiger, Abigail. "Millennials are the Most Likely Generation of Americans to Use Public Libraries." Pew Research Center, June 21, 2017.
- Pogue, David. "Should Artists Reveal How Much They Let Technology Make Creative Choices?" Scientific American, July 2017.
This issue was compiled by Caley Cannon, Sara DeWaay, Mary Kandiuk, and Lynora Williams.