Advocacy and Public Policy Committee News Alerts v. 5 n. 4, April 2019
Advocacy & Public Policy Committee News A
Previous issues can be found at https://arlisna.org/news
Art, Activism, & Social Justice
- Durón, Maximilíano. “For 50th Anniversary of Stonewall Rebellion, Public Art Fund Will Show Felix Gonzalez-Torres Billboard.” ARTnews, April 8, 2019.
- Greenberger, Alex. “‘These Prisons Punish for Profit’: At MoMA Conference, Academics Call on Museum, Board Member to Divest From Private Prisons.” ARTnews, April 28, 2019.
- Greenberger, Alex. “Whitney Biennial Artists Join Call for Removal of Weapons Manufacturer Warren B. Kanders from Museum Board.” ARTnews, April 29, 2019.
- Lefebvre, Sam. “Rare Footage of Black Panthers, California Activism Digitized by Oakland Library.” KQED, April 10, 2019.
- Shaw, Anny. “New Banksy Mural Appears in Support of Extinction Rebellion Protest in London.” The Art Newspaper, April 26, 2019.
- Shaw, Anny. “Turner Prize Nominees Give 'Voice to the Marginalised’.” The Art Newspaper, May 1, 2019.
Copyright, Fair Dealing, & Fair Use
- Alexander, Julia. "YouTube CEO Addresses Top Creator Issues Including Copyright Claims and Trending Section." The Verge, April 30, 2019.
- Radin, Sara. "How a Copyright Loophole Gave Birth to Fashion’s ‘Name and Shame’ Social Media Pastime." Observer, April 30, 2019.
- Temple, Karyn A. "Moving Forward with the Copyright Office." US Copyright Office blog, March 27, 2019.
- Walker, David. "Court Reverses Misguided Fair Use Ruling; Restores Order for Photo Copyrights." pdn, April 26, 2019.
- American Library Association. "Freedom to Read Foundation Announces Intellectual Freedom Courses and Scholarship Opportunities." ALA Member News, April 19, 2019.
- CBC News. "Province Slashes Ontario Library Service Funding by 50%." CBC, April 17, 2019.
- Maher, Kevin. "Library Advocates Deliver." American Libraries, April 12, 2019.
Intellectual Freedom/Access to Information
- City News Service. "Thousands of San Diegans Banned from City Libraries to Be Reinstated." 10News San Diego, April 9, 2019.
- Hendel, John. "House Democrats' Net Neutrality Win Likely DOA in Senate But Poised to Become 2020 Issue." Politico, April 10, 2019.
- Holstrom, Ashley. "ALA Releases 2018's Top 11 Banned Books." Book Riot, April 10, 2019.
- Mastricolo, Patricia. "CBDLF Defends Students' Right to Read in NJ!" CBLDF.org, April 26, 2019.
- Paranack, Amber. "Breaking: A New ‘News’ Archive!" Headlines and Heroes Blog, Library of Congress, April 9, 2019.
- “Affordable College Textbook Act Reintroduced in U.S. Congress.” SPARC - News, April 4, 2019.
- Else, Holly. “Elsevier Strikes Its First National Deal with Large Open-Access Element.” Nature, April 26, 2019.
- Singh Chawla, Dalmeet. “Study Quantifies the Growing Traction of Open Access.” Physics Today, April 18, 2019.
- Billey, Amber. "Just Because We Can, Doesn't Mean We Should: An Argument for Simplicity and Data Privacy With Name Authority Work in the Linked Data Environment." Journal of Library Metadata, April 2, 2019.
- Hautala, Laura. "What E-Books at the Library Mean for Your Privacy." CNET, April 8, 2019.
- Lapowsky, Issie. "Tech and Privacy Groups Hate the Census Citizenship Question." Wired, April 23, 2019.
- OIF Staff. "Libraries Close the Gap on Unequal Privacy during Choose Privacy Week 2019." Choose Privacy Every Day, April 18, 2019.
- Tufekci, Zeynep. "Think You're Discreet Online? Think Again." The New York Times, April 21, 2019.
- Breeding, Marshall. "Library Systems Report 2019." American Libraries, May 1, 2019.
- Fung, Brian. "5G is about to Get a Big Boost from Trump and the FCC." The Washington Post, April 12, 2019.
- "New Collaborative Effort to Develop a National Digital Ebooks Platform for Libraries Announced." Digital Public Library of America, April 17, 2019.
- "NYU Receives Major Grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation; Collaborative Effort Aims to Meet the Challenge of Preserving New Forms of Digital Scholarship." NYU.edu, April 17, 2019.
- Carrillo, Armando. "UC Librarians Conclude Negotiations of Salary Increases and Academic Freedom Protections." Daily Bruin, April 9, 2019.
- Cunningham, Sojourna, Samantha Guss, and Jennifer Stout. "Challenging the 'Good Fit' Narrative: Creating Inclusive Recruitment Practices in Academic Libraries." Paper presented at ACRL 2019, Cleveland, OH, April 10–13, 2019.
- Lambert, Mark. "Archival Pay and SAA: Some Modest Proposals." Society of Southwestern Archivists, April 29, 2019.
- Thomas, Camille, Elia Trucks, and H.B. Kouns. "Preparing Early Career Librarians for Leadership and Management: A Feminist Critique." In the Library With the Lead Pipe, April 17, 2019.
- Torpey, Elka. "Check It out: Projections for Library Occupations." Career Outlook, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, April 2019.
This issue of News Alerts was compiled by Serenity Ibsen, Karly Wildenhaus, Lynora Williams, and Michael Wirtz.