The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News and World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title: Director, Fisher Fine Arts Library Job
Profile Title: Librarian D Job
Description Summary: Director, Fisher Fine Arts Library
The Penn Libraries seeks a dynamic, forward-thinking, and innovative leader for the renowned Anne and Jerome Fisher Fine Arts Library. Housed in an iconic building designed by famed Philadelphia architect Frank Furness and opened as the university’s central library in 1891, the Fisher Fine Arts Library sits in the center of Penn’s campus. The library’s specific collecting areas include architecture, city and regional planning, historic preservation, the history of art, landscape architecture, urban spatial analytics, and the studio arts. Its collections both complement and are complemented by material in other campus libraries, including the Van Pelt Dietrich Library Center and the library in Penn’s Museum of Anthropology and Archaeology, and through our deep alliance with the Athenaeum of Philadelphia. The Fisher Fine Arts Library serves the research and teaching needs of the Weitzman School of Design, the School of Arts and Sciences, Penn’s arts and culture interests writ large, and the broader global community. The Fisher Fine Arts Library is part of the Penn Libraries, which is embarking on an innovative strategic plan that will chart the library's future with an impact on the global society.
- MLS/MLIS, PhD, or other relevant advanced degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a library, museum, or research setting.
- Awareness of current issues and trends in library and information science relevant to art libraries, special collections, and archives, including emerging technologies and scholarly communications.
- Advanced training in an arts field (a graduate degree preferred).
- Experience in collection development and a broad knowledge of information resources in appropriate fields.
- Leadership skills and a record of progressively responsible management experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population of faculty, students, staff, and members of the general public.
- Experience providing reference services and instructional sessions for arts-related resources.
- Demonstrated ability to think and lead strategically in support of the planning, evaluation and assessment of Library operations.
- Exhibit a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
• Experience managing acquisitions, operating, and personnel budgets.
• Experience researching, mounting and promoting exhibits.
• Experience managing digital image collections.
• Experience coordinating facilities management.
• Reading knowledge of French, German, or Italian.
• Experience cultivating and providing stewardship to donors.
• Experience collaborating with other public and private cultural institutions.
Job Location - City, State: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Department / School: University Library
Pay Range: $59,703.00 - $113,435.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
For more information and to apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1599344