The Metropolitan Museum of Art collects, studies, conserves, and presents significant works of art across all times and cultures in order to connect people to creativity, knowledge, and ideas. Thomas J. Watson Library is The Met's research library and one of the world's most comprehensive art libraries. Reflecting the encyclopedic scope of The Met, the library’s collection exceeds one million volumes and includes extensive digital collections and online resources.
The Deputy Chief Librarian serves a key leadership role in the administration and management of library operations and the delivery of services. Working in close collaboration with the Chief Librarian, this position ensures the effective coordination of library activities, including reader and technical services; systems and information technology; financial management and oversight; collection development; and conservation. This position participates in recruiting, hiring, coaching, supervising, and supporting the professional development of staff, encourages and appreciates diversity, values different perspectives and experiences, and is actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect. The Deputy Chief Librarian works closely with a staff of 35 individuals to support the library’s core values, develop staff competencies, achieve the library’s goals and serve as an active partner with library staff to support a welcoming environment for all Museum staff and researchers.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit a cover letter indicating how they satisfy the requirements above, a resume, and the names of three references to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science/Information Science required; M.A. in Art History desirable.
- Eight years of progressive responsibility for managerial and administrative functions of a large research library including preparing budgets, analyzing financial reports, and library related data.
- Leadership style that includes a commitment to transparency and inclusiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate the growth and potential of staff and to foster a collegial work environment.
- Experience in a broad range of basic to advanced library functions; able to participate in and coach staff in many aspects of librarianship.
- Eight or more years of demonstrated experience developing and leading a diverse workforce and management team, including supervising direct reports.
A full position description is available here: https://libmma.s3.amazonaws.com/Deputy_Chief_Librarian_Posting_2021_updated.pd